Nine Palestinians have been killed in an Israeli raid in the city of Jenin in the West Bank. The victims were reportedly shot while attempting to flee the scene of a fire that had broken out during an early-morning operation by Israeli troops. The raid comes two days after a Palestinian teenager, 16, was shot dead by Israeli forces at a checkpoint near Bethlehem. In that incident, footage posted on YouTube showed the teen being shot in the head as he lay motionless on the ground. The events mark another round in the increasingly tense and violent relationship between Israel and the Palestinians. The conflict has seen numerous deadly clashes over the past few months, with Palestinian demonstrators protesting against Israeli occupation and settlements in various parts of the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Nine Palestinians killed in Israeli raid in Jenin
Nine Palestinians were killed in an Israeli raid in the northern Jenin refugee camp on Wednesday, according to local media reports. Witnesses said that the Israeli military entered the camp through its southern entrance, opened fire and then withdrew quickly. The Palestinian Red Crescent Society called the raid a “massacre.” The international community has lambasted Israel for what they called an excessive use of force against civilians.
The Guardian’s Middle East editor, Ian Black, wrote: “Israel has been conducting a nightly assault on Gaza since early July using artillery, tank fire and air power. But this is apparently the first time it has resorted to ground troops in densely populated areas – an indication of how desperate things have become.”
“The scale and brutality of Wednesday’s attack suggests that Israel may be feeling increasingly desperate,” he continued. “It comes as Israel’s security cabinet met to discuss Operation Protective Edge, which began on 8 July with the stated aim of halting Hamas rocket firing into Israel and restoring quiet to border communities.”
Israeli human rights group B’ Tselem said in a statement that: “This massacre raises serious questions about the justification for this attack and about IDF (Israel Defense Forces) practices generally in the Occupied Territories.”
Israel investigating raid that left nine Palestinians dead
According to Reuters, the Israeli army is investigating a raid that left nine Palestinians dead in Jenin. The raid took place on Wednesday night and saw Israeli forces enter the city from its southern entrance, firing shots and lobbing grenades into homes. According to Palestinian sources, at least one member of the family of each victim was present when they were killed. A spokesperson for the Israeli army said that “the circumstances of this attack are still under examination.” Reports suggest that the victims were all members of the same family. Since October 1st, 2014, there have been multiple raids carried out by Israeli forces in Jenin – all of which have resulted in casualties. In total, 49 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces in Jenin during this period.
The majority of these incidents have taken place in or around al-Quseir neighborhood – a densely populated area which has seen increased tensions between Palestinian residents and Israeli security personnel since October 2014. In July 2015, an 18-year-old Palestinian man died after being shot by an Israeli soldier outside a mosque in al-Quseir. That same month, a Palestinian youth was killed after he allegedly attempted to stab an Israeli soldier near the same mosque. Earlier this year, clashes erupted between Palestinian protesters and security personnel following funeral prayers for three boys who had been killed – two of them while playing football in al-Quseir – by Jewish settlers living near Hebron. As Israel continues to carry out raids in and around Jenin –
Israel says it was defending itself during raid
Israel says it was defending itself during raid in Jenin
Nine Palestinians killed in Israeli raid in Jenin
Israeli forces on Monday conducted a raid in the West Bank city of Jenin, resulting in the death of nine Palestinians, including five members of one family. According to reports, Israeli soldiers entered the home of Rami Abu Khdeir, 15, and his siblings Ibrahim, 13; Mohammed Mahmoud al-Qawasmi, 17; Mohammad Allan al-Sawwaf, 16; and Mohammad Hussein al-Hajjaji, 18. The soldiers also killed their parents Mahmoud and Naama Abu Khdeir. Another two Palestinians were also killed during the raid – Amer Abu Kodia and Bashar Kamal Kassem. The Israeli military stated that it had come under fire from Palestinian gunmen during the operation. However, eyewitnesses disputed this claim, saying that they heard no gunfire before or after the Israeli incursion into the home.
The deaths bring to at least 247 the number of Palestinians killed by Israelis since October 1st – more than half of whom have been deliberately targeted by Israel Defense Forces (IDF) troops…
According to UN statistics published last month [the previous month], at least 2% of all Palestinian fatalities since September 2000 have been children aged 12 or younger…
Palestinians say that this disproportionate targeting is a direct result of Israel’s decades-long occupation which has destroyed whole neighborhoods and left most Palestinians with little hope for a better future
Leave a Reply